SGI320

Home » Community » Tutorials » Windows 2000 | IRIX Networking

Windows 2000 | IRIX Networking

Advertisements

— by Diego Alberto De Giorgio —

Software Requirements
  • Windows 2000 Pro (Full or Upgrade version)
  • IRIX version 6.5.XX+
  • Samba version 2.2.5+

IRIX/Samba Installation

1. Open “Toolchest/System/System Manager”

2. Choose “Networking and Connectivity”, and now choose “Set Up and Start Networking”, giving parameters according to your net.-

I use:
Active Network Interface: ec0
IP Address: 192.168.236.86
NetMask: 255.255.255.0

3. Choose “Host Manager” followed by “Add a Host Entry” for each host on your network.

I Use the following: (NIS/DNS/FILES)

NetBIOS Name IP Address NetMask

INDY 192.168.236.106 255.255.255.0
INDIGO2 192.168.236.086 255.255.255.0
SGI320 192.168.236.066 255.255.255.0

Note: Do not use the IP Address 192.0.2.1 as a host entry as this is a self-testing IP probed by SGI. It does not serve or receive data to/from any hardware network interface and therefore should not be used for networking purposes.

4. Install Samba on IRIX 6.5.XX. Samba for IRIX can be downloaded free of charge from the SGI Freeware web site.

5. At this point, you can read briefly “Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf”, from “/usr/samba”, to resolve any particular need.-

6. Open your default browser (Netscape Navigator) and type under”Location” the following URL: “http://localhost:901/”.

7. You´ll have now opened “SWAT”, on the home page (image1), with a list of documents that you can read directly within your browser.

8. Now you can create your Samba Configuration File, choosing “GLOBALS” from “SWAT”.
Take a look from my own file created using SWAT (image2), on “/usr/samba/lib”:

To view the Samba configuration file created using SWAT, click here.
You can download my own file from here: smb.conf

9. Look at “inetd.conf” file from “/etc”, taking care to read the following line at the end of file:

#SWAT services
swat stream tcp nowait root /usr/samba/bin/swat swat

You can download my own file from here: inetd.conf

You will also need to add a new line declaring “smbd” and “nmbd” services, if your Samba installation has not taken care of this. For instructions on how to do this see the documentation inside “/usr/samba”.

10. Look at “services” file from “/etc”, taking care to read the following line at the end of file:

#SWAT services
swat 901/tcp # SWAT

You can download my own file from here: services

11. Restart your system to activate all the new networking services.

12. Open “Toolchest/System/System Manager”.

13. Set a password for the Samba admin account by using “Security and Access Control/Modify Your Account Password” (image3).

14. Create a crypted password for Samba, coincident with the prior account pass, using a “Unix Console”:

/usr/samba/bin/./smbpasswd – your_user_name

Replace your_user_name with the right user name account.-

15. Open your default browser (eg. Netscape Navigator) and under “Location” type the following URL: “http://localhost:901/”. You´ll see both services (“smbd” and “nmbd”) start up in the “STATUS” page (image4).

Windows Client Installation

1. Open “Control Panel/Network and Dial-Up Connections/Local Area Connection (Right-Click/Properties)”.-

(We are assuming that you have assigned NetBIOS computer name, coincident with the declared on samba; if not, please correct it!)

2. Make sure ‘Client for Microsoft Networks’ is installed.

3. Make sure ‘Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)’ is installed

4. Install ‘Client for Microsoft Networks” and “TCP/IP protocol’ if not present.

5. Open ‘Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)’.

6. Declare on ‘Use the Following IP Address’ the IP for your existing Win2K machine.

7. Declare on ‘Use the Following DNS Server Addresses’the IP for your existing IRIX/Samba Server.

8. Click on ‘Advanced’ and check that the ‘IP Adresses’ for your Win2K machine is the same as the IP for your IRIX/Samba Server.

9. Use the defaults settings for ‘DNS’and ‘WINS’ name service pages.

10. Open ‘My Network Places’ and check for the newly connected Samba Server.

11. Double-click on it and enter login and password.

12. That’s it! You can now browse your IRIX system on the SGI320.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: